Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish and is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each week a new theme is suggested for bloggers to participate in. Create your own Top Ten list that fits that topic – putting your unique spin on it if you want. Everyone is welcome to join but please link back to The Artsy Reader Girl in your own Top Ten Tuesday post.
Today’s Top 10: Top Ten Unlikable Characters You Can’t Help but Love
Click on the cover to go to my Review of the book (or Goodreads)!
1. Just Like Magic by Sarah Hogle. The main character, Bettie Hughes starts out the story by squatting in a dead woman’s apartment. She’s also selfish and self-absorbed but definitely redeems herself by the end of the book.
2. Before I Do by Sophie Cousens. Audrey actually stands up her fiance at the altar. Her uncertainty made her unlikeable in my eyes.
3. Station Eternity by Mur Lafferty. The main character Mallory Viridian is constantly surrounded by murder. Who wants to be around a person who is constantly near murder victims?
4. The Three Loves of Sebastian Cooper by Zoë Folbigg. Sebastian Cooper is a serial cheater, but for some reason, everyone still loves him and I could see why he was so likable by the end.
5. The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews. Main character Captain Jasper Blunt has a reputation for beating the men under his command while he was in the Army, how can anyone so cruel ever be likable?
6. Marlow Banks, Redesigned by Jacqueline Firkins. The main character Angus Gordon is the show’s bad boy with a reputation for having a new woman every week.
7. Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Carrie Soto is know as “the Battle-Axe” but after a while she redeems herself.
8. Addicted To You by Krista and Becca Ritchie. One main character is an alcoholic and the other one is a sex addict, but over time I grew to love them both.
9. A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman. Ove is just a grumpy old man, but thanks to his new neighbors, Ove became almost loveable.
10. Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover. The main character, Kenna Rowan is fresh out of prison for manslaughter. But, of course, there is more to the story.
Do you know of any unlikable characters you can’t help but love? Comment below!
A great list!
Have a great week!
Sorry that it has taken me so long to get round to reading it!
I’ve only read Ove but completely agree. I have The Belle of Belgrave Square sitting on my TBR and I really can’t wait to read it!
For some reason, despite what Lily and Lo did to further their addictions, I never considered them unlikable.
Great list! I’ve only read Carrie Soto and Reminders of Him, but several others are on my tbr. I especially want to read Addicted to You after seeing it get so much attention lately. 🙂
I haven’t read A MAN CALLED OVE yet, but Ove is my favorite kind of “villain.” I like it when they’re good people on the inside, it just takes some work to figure that out.
Happy TTT (on a Thursday)!
That’s a perfect description for Ove!
Some reputed bad characters can be a surprise like in the Mimi Matthews, but I do love it when an author makes me like their ‘unlikable’ characters.
This is a hard topic. The only one I am familiar with is Ove and I certainly agree with him as a choice.
I LOVE Ove. He is one of my favorite characters. Backman’s books are amazing.
I love the cover on The Belle of Belgrave Square. It is gorgeous.
I’ve read three of those books. Carrie, Ove, and Kenna Rowan definitely belong on that list.
A few great ones for the list.
I love, love, love Ove. I watched the original movie as well that was dubbed. I am so excited about Tom Hanks’s version. I gifted this book to everyone one year for Christmas!
I think I saw Man Called Ove on someone else’s list too…..and he fits the bill as being so unpleasant to start but then you see his heart….. good list Wendy.
Reminders of Him definitely belongs on the list.
Carrie Soto is on my wish list. I’ve heard lots of good things about it.
Captain Blunt is a great choice. I didn’t think of that one.
I totally agree about Angus. He definitely did not start out in a good light. 💕
He sure didn’t! Thanks, Tessa
I’m really looking forward to reading Station Eternity!
It was fun! I hope you enjoy it, Greg
Loved Major Blunt! Yes, can’t help but root for the self-destructive couple in the Addicted series. I really want to read A Man Called Ove especially now that Tom Hanks is portraying him!
Oh… I did not know that Tom Hanks will play him!! I will be watching that one!
I’m reading Before I Do right now and haven’t reached the alter yet! A fun tag with great choices!
Thank you, Jodie. Before I Do does have a slow start.
I haven’t read any of these, but I did finish a book recently that had an unlikeable character. By the end, he’d worn me down and even had some moments where you just knew there was a better person underneath – somewhere, lol.
LOL, I think only the best authors can make an unlikeable character likeable again.
Great list, Wendy. I see we both include Ove. I loved Kenna and was glad we finally got the story about what happened so I didn’t feel bad about liking her.
I agree, she was so vulnerable.
Great choices, it is strange we love some characters we should hate
It is really strange, and it takes a great author to make us like them after we don’t
Ooh, I loved Ove and Kenna really grew on me. Great one!
Yes, Kenna was a wonderful character.
I love that you chose Lily and Lo. You feel like you shouldn’t love them, but they’re so loveable!
Yes of course! They are such a mess.
Excellent choices Wendy!🤗📚💜
Thank you, Susan!
We love this idea for a book tag!!
It was fun to put together.
It’s crazy how many unlikable characters there are that you end up loving anyway. Sometimes they end up being the best!
I agree!! Unlikeable characters can be so interesting.
I’ve read 3 of these, I love your choices!
Thank you, Rae!
A man called Ove is on my TBR list.
I hope you can get to it soon, I think you’ll like it Rosie.
I remember reading your review for Just like Magic and you said that the main character started of as unlikeable. I still want to read that one. Poor Ove….
You have a great list Wendy!
Ove has been on quite a few lists today!
I’m reading Maureen (Harold Fry) and she’s unlikable! Also..I didn’t stick around to feel the Carrie Soto love! DNF
Oh, I have Maureen on my TBR, I am looking forward to it.